Cochrane Author Workshop
2019 workshop: dates yet to be confirmed
Are you thinking of undertaking a Cochrane review? Have you recently registered a review title with a Cochrane group? If so, please join us at McMaster University for Cochrane's standard author training course in 2019.
Take this three-day session to learn the basic skills of conducting a Cochrane review. Topics include protocols, setting your question, literature searching, study selection, assessing bias, data and analysis, formulating conclusions, and a hands-on session with the Review Manager software.
This workshop is suitable if you:
- Have registered a review title about interventions, and are ready to begin writing your protocol
- Have little or no experience in systematic reviews
- You are experiencing difficulty defining the scope of your review
What will be covered?
- Overview of the Cochrane Collaboration and Systematic Reviews
- Defining the Research Question and Developing a Protocol
- Systematic Searching of the Literature
- Study Selection
- Critical Appraisal and Risk of Bias tool
- Data extraction
- Analysis and Interpretation
- GRADE, Summary of Findings tables & Completing Your Review
We use a mixture of teaching styles, but this workshop is based mainly around small group discussions to develop and refine the background and objectives sections of your protocol.
While the course is being organised and delivered by the Upper GI and Pancreatic diseases group, the course is not specific to gastroenterology topics.
What will I achieve?
By the end of the workshop, you should:
- Be confident of the question your review is addressing and the implications for the review methods you will use
- Understand the scope of your review
- Have entered the criteria for selecting studies and objectives sections of the protocol into RevMan
The course will be held from approximately 9am to 5pm over three days at McMaster University Medical Centre, Hamilton Canada.
A registration fee of $300 CDN includes materials, lunch and refreshments.
To register, please complete and return the Registration Form with payment.
Participants are required to bring their own laptop for course work. Free, wireless internet access will be provided.
Accomodation is not included in the cost of registration. Local hotels, in order of proximity to campus include:
- McMaster University (student residences)
Osler House (B&B in Dundas ON)
Transportation - The course will be held at McMaster University medical centre, located at 1200 Main Street West, Hamilton.
- Daily underground parking is available at a rate of $25 per day.
- Local Taxi companies include: Hamilton Cab (905 777 7777) and Blue Line Taxi (905 525 BLUE).
- McMaster University is well served by GO Bus and train service from Toronto, and within the city by Hamilton Street Railway.
- Hamilton is served by airports in Hamilton (YHM), Toronto (YYZ or YTZ) and Buffalo, USA (BUF). Airways Transit and Mermaid limos offer ground transportation between all airports and Hamilton, as does the GO (Government of Ontario) bus service
Cancellation policy - No refund will be given for cancellations requested.
Please email Cathy if you have any questions or concerns on email@example.com